
Dad,
I think the biggest changing point in my life was 8 years
ago. I’ve written about it before. But today is different. Today 5/21/12 is the date of your death. I
hate the word death, but it’s a reality. Something you told me in your last
days was to never live life with regrets. To always follow my dreams, and be
kind to people.
Dad, you were a very analytical man, avid reader, deep
thinker, sometimes intense, yet had eccentric sprinkles around your personality.
You didn’t care what people thought of you. Hell, you were Marko!
I learned a lot about you in your last months of life. We both knew you
were leaving yet it was an unspoken topic. When you lose someone you go through
certain steps that evententully help you process the reality of death.
Losing you essentially
affected all aspects of my daily life. I would put on this smile and say things like “thank
God your in a better place”, but inside I was pissed off that you left at such a young age. My
mind would races, anxiety would creep in, and I started the form an “F” it attitude.
It not only affected me, but it affected everyone around me. I started to not care what people thought of me because
I realize I only have one chance in life.
After you passed away,people would commend me for giving my
loss to God, but I was really pissed off at God. I know that offends the
religious folks, but it’s the truth. Last year I had no choice but to open up
and let it all out. It was painful, it hurt, it really pissed me off, but it
showed me who I am. I lost a lot of relationships during the process, I just made
the decision to stop being fake and face your death head on. I learned to speak
my mind at the cost of offending others.
Had they known what was going on inside my head maybe things
would have been different, but instead of reaching out, they decided to take offence
over mundane things I would write about? I’m not judging, just stating facts. You were
the only person to give me sound advice, and now that you’re gone, I’ve had to
learn things on my own. You were my best friend. I could tell you anything without
being judged, because you understood me. I will never forget holding your hand
as you took your last breath. I kissed you on your head and said good bye. I
was so angry that day. As I’ve had 8 years to digest your death, I’ve realized
that life is fragile.
The biggest complement I’ve ever received is when people say
“You’re just like your Dad” It’s comforting.
Dad I love you, you’re in my heart for ever, and on this day I choose to
celebrate your life by reminiscing on all those special moments we shared
together.
Sir, you lived the Good Life.
Your son,Mickey
:) I know this wasn't meant to be commented on...but I only wanted to encourage you. On the angry at God thing. I just want to tell you that I can relate and God can take your anger. He knows it's in our hearts before we do...and he understands it better than we do. It is so freeing to openly share those feelings with the Lord in an effort to understand what he is doing. And it is also freeing to share that struggle out loud. I'd rather someone just be honest about thier brokeness than pretend like everything is butterflies and potpourri. I can relate to broken people. And I'm finding that the more honest I am the more others can relate to me and draw encouragement from that. That makes some people uncomfortble...well, all I can say aboutthat is, be thankful you are ok with honesty before God and man....David was. :) You just have your identity in Christ....and don't worry if no one understands that.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, I remember going to visit your dad once when he was really sick. It was really sweet hearing him talk about Jesus. :)
By His Grace,
Sarah