Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Equal Opportunity?


Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined having a felony on my record. Never had any prior convictions nor came close to one. I was a young man with ADD who delivered a large bag of marijuana to an undercover cop in February of 2000.
The cop actually directed me as to where to get the marijuana. In retrospect, he actually orchestrated the whole procedure for me to pick the marijuana up. Then proudly boasted in the local newspaper how he was cleaning up the streets.

 I had no direction in life, thus confirming my actions. Upon conviction, I was under the impression that once I paid my debt to society in the amount of $10,000 and 7 years’ probation, I would be able to move on and live a life of productivity.
After research it has proved to me that the government can stamp a “felony” on anyone’s record carelessly. And even after complete “so called” rehabilitation, you still don’t stand a chance.

I have a good solid work history, not to mention that I was promoted on both jobs. Believe it or not, during the time I was going through my “life changing” situation, I was responsible for running background checks at the Company I worked for.

 Unfortunately, because of the recession, I was laid off from my job. My heart was crushed because I’m now a convicted felon from (12 years ago) looking for a job during a tough economy. This is all new to me because I personally know how employers so brutally judge people with a felony.

I’ve been on countless of interviews, with one wanting to hire me on the spot, that is, until I had to reveal my felony. I’m saying all this to prove that employers DO NOT hire people with a past record, regardless of how qualified you may be. This is a reality in our corporate Country; essentially this has become my reality.

I am certified in a certain technical field, which I received my education through a personal friend who knew me and understood all the details pertaining to my felony. He really helped me out by vaulting for me.
That is the only reason I was able to become certified and receive the accredited education in the technical field. I was laid off on Valentine’s Day. I’ve pursued every avenue, every possibility, yet it’s to no avail.
The reason is simple. Potential employers do not consider the situations encapsulated around ones past. For instance, I was 21 with no job, and all though I was set up; I took responsibility for my actions. Now being in my mid 30’s and actually knowing the law, I realized that if I had proper representation I would have fell into the category of ” entrapment”. I can dwell on that fact or just move on.

I’m at a place now where I actually understand why the TDCJ turn around rate is at 90%. It’s because NO ONE wants to hire felony trash. I believe that one of my missions is to embrace convicted felons and try to direct them into a positive path. As far as me finding a stable job, it’s obvious that I have no choice but to become self-employed.

After the dismissal of my employment, I’ve perused a consultant based position. It’s the only thing I know to do. As I drive down the highway and see illegal immigrants working, I just shake my head, and ask myself why? Land of opportunity? Not so sure about that.

I’m Mickey, and I’m an educated, hardworking, Husband and Father, but according to our democracy, I’m a useless cause, because of a permanent stamp titled FELONY.


No comments:

Post a Comment